Friday 8 May 2009

Motherly Destruction....

Oh dear - I feel so guilty. In one fair swoop I managed to destroy the Ark of the Covenant and a digeridoo. Yes I know it sounds strange, it sounds even more bizarre when I tell you I did it with the roof of my mini! Rather easily explained though I am afraid...sunny day, convertible car, arms full of childrens things amidst school run....so put things on roof...hey presto! Amazingly neither myself or my two sons realised what had happenend until we reached Waitrose a while later...we found the remnants of the digeridoo on the ground by the rear of the car. The Ark of the Covenant and the digeridoo had been lovely made by my eldest son at school. I am obviously biased, but he is such a sweet and loving boy, when we realised what had happened I could tell he was very disappointed but he put his arm around me and said 'Don't worry Mama, you couldn't help it, it was an accident'. What a darling. Despite this I felt awful and desperately searched for fragments of each item in the hope that we could perhaps reconstruct them at home with some TLC and glue! Alas this was not possible. Somehow his kindness made me feel even more guilty, but I was so proud of his attitude, amazing for a seven year old. One of my friends is a teaching assistant in my son's class - I told her what happened and her comments made my guilt plunge to new depths. Not only had my boy had to make the Ark of the Covenant unaided, he had to draw it to scale and build it from plan - a fine feat for a child his age. So how bad do I feel? Off the scale. But my gorgeous little boy made me proud and realise that it is okay for mummies to make mistakes too!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! Don't worry, I throw away my chidlren's art projects from school all the time, and sometimes I get caught.

    What in the world did she say to make you feel even more guilty.

    BTW -- highlighting your blog on BMB this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. she was only joking, she is a friend, but she told me how long it had taken him to plan, build and decorate it! He was so sweet though! I've thrown loads over time, you can't possibly keep them all, but well I suppose it was because I was caught red-handed and it wasn't intentional!

    ReplyDelete