Friday 24 April 2009

The Gurkhas

My late father-in-law was a Sergeant Major in the Paras during the WWII. He trained and fought alongside the first airborne gurkhas. During the war he fought through Burma and liberated Japanese prisoner of war camps.

I often used to sit and chat with him and try to glean information from him about these days. He did not say a lot, her certainly never boasted about his efforts or his bravery, he was very modest in that respect. But he did tell me how he admired the Gurkhas, how loyal and hardworking they were and what wonderful support they gave to this country.

Over 40,000 gurkhas died in the 1st and 2nd world war and they have been loyal to this country for over 200 years. They are fighting now in Afghanistan. The decision about their application took four months - produced one page and was posted on a website.

Surely these men, who have risked their lives, should be treated better and be given the opportunity to reside here without a long list of qualifying criteria that most will not meet. I know that immigration is a very hot topic these days - but in my opinion these men deserve to be near the top of the list when it comes to being allowed the choice of living here or not.

I know my later father-in-law would be extremely upset by todays events. I sincerely hope that they, Joanna Lumley and their legal team continue to fight for justice in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment