Saturday 4 April 2009

SEO Saturday

SEO for those of you that don't know... is search engine optimisation...still none the wiser? Well basically it is words and terms that you include in visible and invisible areas of your website that the search engines can pick up on and then help people find your site and individual pages...sounds thrilling doesn't it! Sadly it isn't quite as simple as it sounds and that is the tip of the iceberg. It is an enormous task and requires many hours of concentration and research...you have to get in the 'zone' a little so it is not something that you can dip in and out of, and for a busy mum this makes it all the more difficult. So a few weeks ago I decided that Saturday would become huddle and bliss SEO day. My boys are here of course but they are getting to the age where they are happy and in fact desire..to entertain themselves. My husbands business is Mon-Fri so I can pretty much concentrate for a set number of hours on my huddle and bliss work ....last Saturday it was 18 hours non-stop!!!! It becomes a bit of a challenge though...and I love a challenge. And besides I enjoy it. As I always say....I have no off switch.

There are a lot of businesses out there doing SEO...it seems to be the next web or marketing 'thing' and I lose count of how many calls I get offering SEO. I really think it can be a big money-spinner. But I am a staunch believer in that no one knows babies and baby things like a mum...and no one knows huddle and bliss like me so I think with a little help from my IT guys www.jj-solutions.com and a bit of reading I can do it myself. At the very least I will gain an extensive understanding of it...I wonder how many business people out there have handed over thousands of pounds and they really have no clue how and why their particular keyword terms have been selected, or if they are even doing what they are supposed to. Now I am sure there are probably a number of SEO'ers out there shouting back at me....please get in contact, if I am missing something here then I would love to know! At the end of the day for anyone setting up a business there is nothing like hands-on experience and someone leading a business has to know every aspect of it. I have done and still do on occasion, everything from making up swing tags, constructing our gift boxes and working in customer services. I believe it is crucial. It has to be a constant learning curve - bit like being a mum! You never know it all and you have to be prepared to learn along the way. Each stage with your child brings a new set of dilemmas and challenges but overall joys!

So here it is SEO Saturday. By setting a day aside for it I also ensure that I make progress on this enormous task at least one day a week!

Before that though I need to go and cook breakfast for my boys...they are calling for bacon sandwiches this morning....mmmmmm....don't normally eat breakfast (yes yes I know I should) but am sure the smell of bacon cooking on a Saturday morning may bet my appetite going...if nothing else I need to up my caffeine levels, always takes three cups...the cafetiere is calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment